Saturday 14 December 2013

little mats for Helen

A couple of days ago I finished some little mats for Helen   (pink of course)   These I started a while ago, it was going to be a table runner but then we had a change of heart so now she has one square mat,   2 funny shaped and 4 mug sized ones.   How I dread cutting them around the buttonhole stitch but amazingly I did not cut in to any of my stitches.   Like most of the hardanger I do I just stitch with no pattern and let the needle go where it wants to.





Not sure what she is going to do with these, whether they end up in a drawer or are out on the sideboard, maybe they will appear when she knows I am calling round!  They compliment the large picture I did for her for her previous house,  that was done as a request to go over the bed, needless to say it never got hung but she is planning to put it in her lounge as she has decorated it, 3 walls grey and a feature wall of pink  flowers on a white background, it really looks lovely.   This is her first proper house as she calls it, until now she has lived in shared accomodation since she went away to uni when she was 23, she is now 37 and has bought this house.



I have also done some flowers on a piece of hardanger for my friend Carol who lives in Manchester, she was struggling with a mat she was doing so I have done the bits she could not see to do.   Must admit I find this technique so relaxing, especially after doing so much patchwork.Posted it back to her yesterday so she will get it either today or monday.

The batik blocks quilt is now tacked together with the wadding and backing and on the spare bed until I decide what to do next and also pluck up courage to do it.


Will add the latest tula blocks in the next few days.

28 comments:

Janet said...

What pretty pieces! I prefer to work the same way, wherever the needle takes me.

Queeniepatch said...

You are the Queen of Hardanger! I am full of admiration for the way you work.
It is nice to work on various projects, handwork vs machine. After having done the Hardanger you will soon want to deal with the batik blocks. I am really looking forward to your progress.

Nana said...

I did not know you make hardanger and it looks so beautiful!!!!

Nana

Wendy said...

Just beautiful! I love the table mats, especially the differently shaped ones

Judith said...

Your hardanger embroidery is always so beautiful Margaret! Helen is very fortunate to have so many lovely pieces from you.

The Pied Pedlar said...

Such beautiful work

Cattinka said...

The mats are pretty, you are good at this technique.
KATRIN W.

Gaia said...

so delicate, lovely colours and just so pretty !!!

Vicki Miller said...

these are gorgeous, and if she doesn't use them I will visit her and tell her to. Beauty must be appreciated, especially when made by you

Grit said...

Wonderful hardanger works. Looks really beautiful.

deanna7trees said...

such beautiful work. i do love that oddly shaped one.

Séverine said...

Your hardanger pieces are wonderful

donna said...

It looks great.
Hugs
donna

Jillian said...

The hardanger is just lovely, Margaret. I'd use them to stand things on, like bud vases with the gardenias blooming vigorously in my garden at the moment!

Jane said...

Those mats are beautiful, hope she likes them

Pippas quilts said...

what a wonderful gift so precise

The Inside Stori said...

Your needle work skills are fantastic!!!

Margo Brooks said...

Free form hardanger sounds so difficult! The results are beautiful though.

Annet said...

Love your Hardangar pieces!

motidana said...

These pieces you have made have turned out so beautiful . I love the odd shaped ones the most because they look so unique with the lovely embroidery you`ve done .

Anita said...

All the pieces are so beautiful,Margaret.But the odd shaped one is more interesting.Your daughter is very lucky to receive these wonderful pieces.
I know already that you stitch as you go and it's amazing.I wonder how you manage to do that:) because I draw my patterns roughly on a graph and without it I don't think I can stitch.

Suztats said...

Lovely hardanger, Margaret!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how tallented you are at the hardhanger all your pieces are stunning especially the one in the frame. I am sure your daughter will keep them out for all to see!

Dianne said...

You are so clever. The hardanger pieces are amazing. It must be so scary doing the cutting. Full admiration from me.

cottonreel said...

Wow Margaret ! If you never had another craft at your finger tips you certainly are top of the class at hardanger .
I have Cyprus lace which is very similar . I only made 1 piece myself . Far too time consuming .

Createology said...

Your little mats you stitched are beautiful. Looks like sew very much work with needle and thread. Stitching Bliss Dear...

DIAN said...

I love the hardanger. I always imagined this was a really structured method. I was interested in your comment about letting the needle go where it wants to.

Monica said...

That is a beautiful piece of Hardanger that you did for Helen! I love the colours. I hope it will be hung soon!