Wednesday 11 June 2014

wristwatch quilt, CQJP june

This last few weeks I have been doing the wristwatch quilt that Paula of Sassy quilters did through Bear Creek web site.    Once again it is for Helen hence the pink and grey.   Now all blocks together and it is at the flimsy stage but problems re the quilting,  as there is so much blank space it needs accurate quilting so think it needs to go to bed for a few years.  I have lots of the grey fabric,  5 yards which I picked up for £5, she wants that on the back too, rather boring but if it is what she wants!



Helen is not only  into pink and grey   she is also into butterflies so this fabric has worked very well.  Now you can see the problem with all the plain areas for quilting.  The quilt measures 60" x 60"

Yesterday I worked on Helen`s crazy block for june

  I have more to do on this one, the grey cat fabric at the bottom needs seam treatment and a few more bits would not be a bad thing but it will be cut down slightly when I put them all together.  Rather like my butterfly,  it is from the fabric I used in the wristwatch quilt, I bonded the butterfly then added some straight stitches and french knots.   I struggle with this colour range but Helen seems to approve so that means all is okay.

I live in West Yorkshire where the tour de France starts so our MQG have been invited to make things based on wheels for an exhibition that will run in july in Harrogate   I have made something,  not sure it will be accepted, I take it to the meeting on 21st, if approved I will put a photo on here.

23 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Oh I love the pink and grey. I think straight line stitching would look great on this quilt. Simple and quick.

QuiltSue said...

I also think that straight or maybe wavy line quilting all over would work for this. It would keep the graphic look of the quilt.

Nana said...

How lovely this top is and how pinky. You´re always good for colours, aren´t you?

Nana

Gaia said...

The butterfly on the crazy block is pretty; pink n' blue contrast goes well with rest of the work. I don't have much knowledge about quilting but I like what you have made.

Bev said...

Wow! You've been busy! I always love your crazy quilt blocks! So pretty. Love the wristwatch quilt too. XO

crafty cat corner said...

I just love the colours of the crazy block its beautiful.
Briony
x

Rebecca in AK said...

Great job on the Wrist Watch quilt! Deciding on the quilting is always hard for me, I am still new at it. The suggestion of wavy lines does sound good though. Love your crazy quilt block!

Jillian said...

It's quite a good grey, and the red gives a nice lift. The crazy quilt block, is, as usual, really lovely. Good luck with the quilting.

Séverine said...

Your quilt is beautiful, good luck for the quilting , it´s not easy to choose the pattern quilting. I love the butterfly of your crazy.

motidana said...

Beautiful Quilt . I really love your quilt , and of course the CQ block is my favorite as always

Annet said...

That big quilt needs a lot of quilting, but it has lots of space for nice patterns. I like the stitches on your CQ block.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Loving your crazy block!

Radka said...

I like your crazy block :-)

Queeniepatch said...

How about quilting lots of butterflies in all those spaces?
The cq block is charming and has a lot of TAST stitches!

Jane said...

It's a lovely block, love the combination of fabric and stitch, and well done on getting the top completed

Deepa said...

You're doing it quite well and doesn't look that you're struggling with the colors.Anything for loved ones,right? :)

Stitching Lady said...

I love your pink grey compsition. I never heard of wristwatch block.

Stitching Lady said...

You are so industrious - i.e. finishing so much. Envy!

Rose said...

The wristwatch block is a new one to me too. I think straight line stitching would work well keeping it more modern looking. Love your crazy patch.

Anonymous said...

I like the pink and grey, may be add a simple quilt pattern in the grey areas to give some texture to the squares would be nice. Your little block is lovely, I do like the butterfly!

Anita said...

your quilt is so beautiful.I've never heard of wrist watch block.I think straight or curvy line quilting would look great.

Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Oh Margaret, the wristwatch quilt is beautiful! Great job and I'm sure Helen will love it! As for what to quilt in the open spaces - any chance of trying free motion butterflies?

Celtic Thistle said...

Please don't put your quilt away Margaret! It is lovely and deserves to be finished and used :) Wavy line quilting would work I think and is do-able too!