Tuesday 2 September 2014

Festival of quilts 2

As promised here are a few more quilts that won prizes at the FOQ.   I seem to be behind myself these days s I have been to the Harrogate quilt show since Birmingham so much catch myself up,  means a few blogs over the next few days.

This is the winner of the Quilters Guild challenge, the theme was gardens and this quilt was made by Yvonne Brown


this is the winner in the my first quilt category,   made by Jill Johnson and quilted in the quilt as you go method,   very nice, this one really caught my eye.  This one got a lot of attention,  a first quilt and beautifully made, what impressed me too was her fabric and colour choice




this is the art quilt winner by Merce Gonzaez Desedamas in Spain called sunrise, moonrise

 

winner in the 2 person quilt section was this one by Mark and Bridget Mann who are mother and son. Screen printed onto recycled men`s suits creating a portrait of the mathematical code breaker and founder of the Computer Science   sorry do not know his name, not in the catalogue



this is the secondary school winning quilt, made by the Rebecca Palmer original sewing group form Cappamore Ireland



this is the group quilt  winner, made by Tanglewood Textiles a group of 6 



seem to have slipped up here and have no details of this one but I am sure it was in the winning section


this is I believe the winner in the miniature section,   Roberta Le Poidevin from St Peters stitched this one

 I did not find the section with all the miniature ones in,   this was in the section where they had all the winning quilts.

Hope you enjoy seeing these,   sorry will not be sharing all 700 with you all but maybe will share a few more in a couple of days if anyone would like to see more.




29 comments:

Bev said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm surprised that the trend seems to be away from traditional block piecing and more to art quilts with subdued colors. Was the show just for art quilts or are traditional quilts just out of favor? Seems like the winners are quilts that don't have definition. Interesting. XO

Nana said...

The quilts are lovely and no wonder that those won.

Nana

Stitching Lady said...

Hello Margaret, thank you for taking the trouble to share the photos of the wonderful quilts. I caught up also with the post before where you are showing many more beautiful quilts and ..... the grandfather clock. I can't quite understand it. Is it hard, has it a woodden core? Is the outside made of fabric? We own such a clock which we bought in England a few - in fact many - years ago. We love it - it gives such a warm character to the room. But now, one in fabrics!!!

Gaia said...

Another set of lovely quilts. I love first one.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Alrighty! Some more eye candy. I'm in love with that second one...wow!

Thanks for sharing.

crafty cat corner said...

I love the one with the tulips on, so beautiful.
I bet you've got so many ideas going round in your head.
Briony
x

deanna7trees said...

a nice variety of styles. so many talented people out there.

Lady Locust said...

Ooh, aah...isn't it just fun to see what others are doing and what folks come up with? I always learn something going to quilt shows.

Jillian said...

Thanks for posting these, Margaret. I agree with you that the Jill Johnson one is extraordinary - looks perfect. I also really like the code breaker.

The Pied Pedlar said...

More Please

Pippas quilts said...

Thank you Margaret what a stunning collection.

Unknown said...

Margaret ,you are lovely like always keeping us informed about what is happen . Thanks very much for the picture and I have to say there is a good collection of quilts to delight our eyes with .
Love most of them they are so different yet so beautiful on they own :)

Deepa said...

I loved the Jill Johnson quilt!! Lovely pictures,Margaret...thank you for sharing these..
The rabbit quilt in the school category posted in the previous post is also awesome.I loved it.

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Amazing, I l ove the flowery one best :) xxx

motidana said...

These quilts are truly amazing! I am awed at the lovely textures and techniques that have been used in each one making them so unique . I loved all of them but the one with the sunrise, moonrise and the one with the portrait are two of my favorites !

Boud said...

Thanks so much for the virtual tour. I think the code breaker one is a portrait of Alan Turing.

Séverine said...

Thank you for sharing this pictures. These quilts are beautiful.

Mary Ellen said...

Beautiful quilts. Thanks so much for sharing!

Queeniepatch said...

It is nice to see so many of the quilts again, that I did not take a photograph of. Thank you for letting me revisit the show.

QuiltSue said...

Thanks for showing these Margaret. It does seem that a lot of the quilts at this particular show are art rather than traditional. I do hope we're not going to lose the traditional idea of quilts that go on beds and laps. They're always what I think of as quilts whereas wallhangings are art. Even though they are not my thing, I can still enjoy looking at them at seeing new techniques etc.

antique quilter said...

thank you for sharing, I am in awe of some of the quilts. the one on the mens suiting is incredible
wow!!!!
would love to see more
Kathie

The Inside Stori said...

What an amazing variety of quilts.......would love to travel to this show sometime!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

So much inspiration!! THANK YOU for sharing!!!

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

It's lovely to see these quilts that I must have seen but don't remember!

Anonymous said...

A great selection of quilts, the one with no name is gorgeous so full of life and colour!

Suztats said...

Loving the eye candy! Thank you.

Annet said...

Thanks for sharing these beauties. When I take photos at a show or a museum, I take a photo of the info too. Maybe this can help you at your next show!

Anita said...

Thanks for sharing these amazing quilts.Lots of talent has been showcased here :) I love art quilts but it's always a pleasure to look at a beautiful traditional block quilt .

Vicki Miller said...

I love yvonne Brown;s quilt. A bit different than her normal style!