Sunday 28 February 2016

11 blocks to share




There is no finished stitchery today but tomorrow I reveal the doll quilt challenge.

I have lots of blocks from BOMs to share


the first 3 are from the Splendid sampler BOM   they should all be done as 6" but struggled so much with the second one that I made it 12" instead    will probably make more this size too as it will look a bit odd if all but one are 6". This BOM is organised by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson with lots of other designers taking part. We get 2 blocks a moth,  have yet to do block 2 for february as it is a vase of appliqued flowers and need some hep with this


Hearts aflutter designed by Pat Sloan

wings designed by Jane Davidson


lots of love designed by Melissa Corry



These 2 are from Pat Sloan`s mystery BOM  my secret garden   the blocks do not appear to have names.

block 1

block 2


This is the calender girls BOM  for february we had 3 blocks that make into a very nice wall hanging if you make a few of each block,  I am at present just making one each of the blocks then will consider what to do or not to do with them

this is the bonus block of a friendship star

tree block  

house block

all three blocks


This is the latest block from Susan of Desertsky quilts    so enjoying this challenge as all the blocks are either stars or pinwheels.

confetti star

That is all of the BOMs but now for a play on disappearing nine patch blocks.  I was watching a video of Jennie Rayment on justhandstv which inspired me to have a go.  The first block was done starting off with 9  3" squares and then sliced, and turned. I then added 4 more squares between each piece, stitched together, sliced and turned then a further 5 squares added, stitched sliced turned then joined together it finished at 15" sq    http://www.justhands-on.tv/

This block I started with 2.5" squares and added 4 more times   it ended up 24" square,  This I feel is too large I find the contrast in the smallest and biggest squares too big but such fun playing around

23 comments:

Nana said...

I especially love those heart blocks and I always enjoy the load of colours you use.

Nana

Stitching Lady said...

Oh beautiful, Margaret, so much to see on your post (I have the time ad MD -- today). I love the disappearing 9-patch squares. Actually averything on your post. The heart is beautiful, too. The confetti block! Lovely to see you so busy!

Turid said...

Many beautiful blocks here. My favourite is the green wings block. Have a nice Sunday.

Marika said...

Dear Margaret
What lovely Blocks to you share, thank you, i like it and enjoy it,
You have the same way , than i Blocks, Blocks, Blocks :)
You have a beautiful colour and fabrik sheme
Thank you
Kind regards Marika

The Inside Stori said...

Oh my gosh….you’ve been busy…..each one is unique yet they all coordinate so well together!

Podunk Pretties said...

My goodness you've been a busy gal. Great looking blocks!

Sarah said...

You have some really fun blocks here. I especially like the first disappearing nine patch. It's fun to experiment isn't it!

deanna7trees said...

so many lovely blocks. a quilting friend is doing one of the challenges and she made one of the paper pieced hearts but then just appliqued the little ones. she has some unique designs deviating a bit from the pattern. you did a great job on yours.

Boud said...

My fave-- the house etc group! Lovely.

Createology said...

I keep seeing all these wonderful BOM blocks annd yours are wonderful. I almost wish I were tackling the making of heart blocks. Maybe some day...for now life is busy and there are no extra hours in each day. Embracing Creatiive Bliss...

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You have a lot of wonderful blocks going there. I see you jumped into do The Splendid. I'll be watching. Starting nothing new and haven't sewn for awhile. We spent the last couple of weeks moving everything out of the bedrooms and computer room waiting for new carpet. It finally came and now we are spending even more time returning everything...almost. I'm getting rid of as much as possible. For some reason it won't all fit back in?? Grin.

Jill said...

I've just started the Splendid Sampler, also! It looks like you're having lots of fun with all of the BOMs you're participating in! All your blocks look great :)

Monica said...

Wow, what a huge variety of blocks! That is so fun, to keep trying new ones. Great work!

PaulaB quilts said...

You really have done a lot of great work. Your color choices are bright and cheerful. I love the little tree and house, also Susan's block. The D9P is a mystery to me with all those different blocks and cutting. Do you have the pattern for that? Congrats on all the BOMs that you are keeping up with. A good way to have deadlines. Keep up the good work!.

Anonymous said...

Great blocks, every single one. You've been busy behind the scenes! I love the Rayment version of the D9P, too. That could be a leader-ender!

Anita said...

Lovely blocks! the appliqué heart block has turned out so well.It's fun to try out so many new blocks, isn't it?

Jane said...

You have been busy, it can be hard work keeping up with BOM's, you are going to have some fabulous quilts

Lady Locust said...

Your blocks always look so happy:) I like those P Sloan blocks - intriguing.

Gaia said...

You have been doing lots of sewing !love the blocks, specially the house and the tree one.

Annet said...

I like your experiments with disappearing ninepatches.

Celtic Thistle said...

You have so many BOM's going on at once I wonder how you manage to keep up with them Margaret!

Pippas quilts said...

they look great I am hopeing to start a bom I hope I can do as well as you.

Séverine said...

All these blocks are beautiful!