Thursday, 16 March 2017

sampler HST flimsy quilt, Sofie , Alfie

On 26 february we very sadly had to have Sofie put to sleep as she was in heart failure and struggling to breathe.  Sofie was Catherine`s cat and Mum of Alfie who we lost on 26 november last year. Sofie was about 19 and Sal my granddaughter has not known life without her,  she is so upset and sat up all night on 25th with Sofie so she was not alone.  What a lovely cat she was and she brought so much joy into our lives, she is now with Alfie in cat heaven.  Helen and I plan to have a needle felted cat made from her photos,  Helen had one of Alfie done too.

This is Alfie   the needle felting looks much better than this in real life,  for some reason the photo shows in very much a funny shape, note the winking eye,  he used to wink at the camera a lot! The lady who made him is so busy now since Helen shared the photo on facebook and does all sorts of pets for people.

I have been quite busy this month,  finally got my 24 HST blocks which I did with Blossomhearts blog in 2016 put together into a flimsy.  I enjoyed this challenge as we used the 2, 4 and 8 way methods of making HSTs.  I did not like the 4 method but loved the 8 one and now if I have 6 or more HSTs in a block I use this way and just add the extras to my stash!   Not quilted yet as I do not have anything suitable for a backing,  it measures 86" x 56" so will hopefully be able to pick up a king size duvet cover on my travels for it and the other half will be used for another quilt.  Pondering about what I will use for binding,  yellow and orange have been suggested but will wait till quilted before I make my mind up

I also used a hexie piece to make into a pouch for my pintangle tast stitches   must get some more done. I do these with Sharon from pintangle who is about to bring out a crazy quilting book,  I have it on pre order from amazon.

At last I made the effort and got my Women of the Bible instructions out,  decided I did not want to do the blocks all 10" or 15" in size and altered them to 9" 12" and 15". I found the instructions very difficult and as most went together better as these sizes was able to work them out though some I could not work out so they were left out.  Some have been duplicated in the different sizes and I now have 25  12" blocks which I am pleased with and want a square quilt. I plan to add sashing and corner stones but have no idea what colour to do but as lilac is used in all the blocks to link them together I think maybe I will use purple and do the corner stones in the lilac.  It has not show up well looks more like pale blue  n the photos.

There are 12  9" blocks   not sure what these will be  maybe just go in the blocks box.

 now for the 15" only 6 of these but maybe will make some more if I have any lilac left

I have also made 3 more winter solstice blocks and have one more downloaded,  one Childrens library block, 1 crazy red block, 3 bee blessed blocks 2 I will send to bee blessed and keep one for myself and 2 red work blocks.
Now I am taking time to sort out my narrow scraps as I want to do some string blocks,  only got the purple, black and grey done yesterday so think it will take a few days to get them sorted.,
So far this year has been pretty productive hopefully it will continue.